Beating You Over the Head with Subtlety

Mind Numbingly Interesting

Friday, March 02, 2007

Journalismianese

I was just listening to Jocelyn Ford on Market Place, and noticing that she has a particularly strong Journalism accent. Which made me think, how and when did this originate and... what's up with it?

In the old radio and newsreel days, they had a very different dialect of journalismianese. I can't replicate it in writing, but it is most similar that "meeaah, see here coppa," Jimmy Cagney prohibition gangster accent. Ah! Thank God for Youtube. Newsreel

I don't even know how to describe the modern journalismianese, but you know what it sounds like. Samantha Bee and John Oliver parody it quite well on the Daily Show. I understand that it is what it is for clarity and emphasis, but how does one acquire such an accent? Who decided that sing-songey-ness was the best way to convey information? Surely these journalists turn the accent on for the mics and cameras, and then go back to talking normal to their colleagues, family and friends. Is this accent something that they get coaching or training for? Do the practice in from of a mirror with a tape recorder? I guess its really not that hard. Try reading this paragraph in your best journalismianese, but add a 'comma, Wolf?" at the end.

my_attempt_here